Friday, September 23, 2005

Fulltiming, Day 1


This morning at 10:45 we left the house for good, so I guess that makes us officially full-timers, although Terry says since we have been living in the motorhome for three weeks that it started back then.

We headed out to the state park to dump the holding tanks. I went ahead first in the “toad” while Terry followed behind me in the motorhome. He had some traffic, so the distance between us got a big further. I pulled into the state park road and since there was no traffic on that road, I sat and waited for him to catch up. I was watching in the rear-view mirror. Imagine my surprise when I saw the Damon in the distance fly right past the state park road. I have to tell you. . . my marriage flash before my eyes. He has LEFT me behind! I started to reach for my phone and then realized that he had my phone on the dash in the motorhome. I had no phone, no radio, etc.

I drove back out to the entrance and turned west behind him. Just as I did that, I saw a motorhome coming toward me in the distance. I thought, “That must be him. He realized his mistake and turned around.” So I made a u-turn and went back to my appointed spot to wait. Once again, the motorhome flew past the state park road. It wasn’t him. So back I went, turning west again on 36. This time I got down to the high school and there he was. He had turned around in the school parking lot, having realized soon after he passed the road that he had missed his turn. We turn back to the park and our next attempt at leaving was better. We were at least BOTH in the motorhome, both phones and both radios with us.

It took us about 6 hours to reach our destination. . . Rend Lake in Illinois, just 20 miles from DuQoin, where our Escapade will be next week. We met up with our friends, had some supper, and join the group at the “campfire” later. Though our campfire was really citronella candles as the humidity is so high and the temps hot enough, no one wanted to build a fire. Plans were made for the pitch-in Friday and the caravan to the Escapade on Sunday. Surprisingly, there are only a few of us who have been to previous Escapades, the others are all Escapade neophytes! They are in for a great surprise. It will be the most fun for all. I believe everyone in our group is a full timer, which makes for a special bond among these homeless friends.

Tomorrow, we are going to tour the “Odyssey.” This unusual motorhome can see seen on the website. I have been intrigued by it since I first saw it on line and it is parked not too far from us right now and the owers are in our group.

Looking forward tomorrow to a day of fun and relaxation with the rest of the full timers.

To those of you who email me, my insight address is no longer active. Please use:

dapace31@msn.com



Till next time. . .

Dale

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was glad to hear from you and find out you finally made it out of Mooreland. Will be going to the woods so will be out of touch until Sunday evening/.