Saturday, November 26, 2005

Guten Tag!

We are camped just outside the German town of Fredericksburg, Texas, at the Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. Very nice place, right next to an airport. But before I fill you in on Fredericksburg, I need to catch everyone up on what we've been doing. We have not had decent internet connections which is why I have been negligent in posting.

We left San Antonio on Tuesday morning before Thanksgiving. We drove to Hondo,Texas, to "The Lone Star Corral," which is the Escapees park. It is very nice and the people, of course, were super. We signed up for the Thanksgiving Day dinner. On Wednesday, we went to Bandera, Texas, which is the cowboy capital of the world. It is a quaint, rather unspoiled western town and we spent some time just browsing around. When we got back home, I fixed the dishes I was taking to the Thanksgiving dinner and we sat at our campsite and visited with the neighbors.

Thursday we again visited and enjoyed the warmth of Texas in late November. It was in the 80's and sunny. We went to the clubhouse and sat with people we had met and visited with earlier. It was a very enjoyable dinner. They had smoked turkeys in outdoor cookers and it was very good.

We left Hondo Friday morning and drove up here to Fredericksburg. We almost decided not to come because the forecast was calling for rain, but we have wanted to see this town for a couple years. It is in the Hill Country in Texas and the town and the surrounding area is very interesting. There are hills, and because of that, they have some cooler weather which means they actually have some color changes here. It is just now however, the time when the color changes, so we are getting to see it. It isn't on the same scale as we have it in the east, but it is lovely.

We drove into Fredericksburg yesterday afternoon and walked around a little, then went back after dark and took some pictures of the lights. We made plans to go in early this morning and start with the shops. It is a large town and there are a lot of shops and a couple museums. However, we had a very loud and wet thunderstorm last night. The dogs got us up at 1:45. At first, I thought it was morning and they just wanted out, but when I got into the living room, I could see the lightning and I knew what the problem was. So I got a pillow and a blanket, turned the TV on and a light, made sure the blinds were down and stayed with the dogs. Bailey climbed up on the couch with me. He is okay there as long as he is touching me. Then I have to throw an arm over Neal on the floor and he was content also when I was touching him. Just doesn't make for too comfortable a situation for me.

Terry got up at 6:30, and the storm was pretty much over (it was a LONG storm) so I went back to the comfort of the bed to nurse my sore back. Later when I got up we headed into town and spent the day in the shops and museums. There were a lot of people. The streets and shops were very crowded. We shared a table for lunch with two ladies from San Antonio. We had a nice chat with them.

I think we are going to leave here tomorrow, but I can't say where we are going. We are headed for the valley, but how we are going to get there is still a mystery. Terry changes his mind every day or so.

Till next time. . .

Dale

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Fredericksburg" not Fredricksburg.
Hey guys we are in Baird, TX for the night. Moving on tomorrow on I20 to somewhere and then Arizona.
Mickey and Tab

Anonymous said...

What's and "e" between friends!

Terry

Anonymous said...

Es tut mir leid!