Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Not the answers I wanted. . .

Yesterday was my first session with a physical therapist in order to determine what is wrong with my hip/leg, etc., and to plot the best course of action to recover from the injury. I believe the problem started with a fall a year ago on the concrete here in Texas. I ended up with bursitis in my hip which is very painful. I was very impressed with Patty. She is the therapist the physiatrist recommended. A physiatrist is a doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

The therapist was very frank with me today and said she didn’t know if she could help, but we would try some things. She was amazed at my flexibility and ability to walk. Course, I had that month of chiropractic care and Terry and I were swimming every night until we got sick. She was in disbelief that the doctors have not honed in on the problem, but I told her, they never examined me like she did. She poked and prodded the muscles and had me push in order to determine what muscles I was using for what. The gluteus medius is torn according to the MRI and she said at this late date there is no way to recover it. It is shot. But we are going to try and “wake up” some other muscles to make them help me. She said unfortunately, there is no other muscle that does the same thing, but by using a combination, I might be able to keep everything status quo. She also said that what is likely “catching” is the ilio-tibial band. The glute muscle holds it in place and in certain squatting positions (like when I am helping Neal) the glute muscle does not keep the band in place and it slides over the trochanter and gets caught on the far side. At those times, I have extreme pain and cannot step down, but if I stand on my right foot and pull my left leg up and over, it releases. She agreed with me that injecting another epidural is not going to help this problem and I was correct in seeking a correct diagnosis and treatment. Since my session this morning, I have had more pain than usual, I suppose because of the resistance I had to do with the testing, etc.

Today was just evaluation, so next week we will be starting actual physical therapy.

In other news, Terry had gotten a really bad cold last week and is just now recovering. I took some steps to avoid getting it but apparently didn't do enough. It hit me full force yesterday afternoon. Man, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I am trying to drink lots of fluids and vitamin C and today I am considerably better. Yesterday I did not go to bingo and thought I might not be able to go to the Christmas dinner at the hall on Thursday, but if I continue to get better, I may be able to go.

Merry Christmas to all!

Till next time. . .

Dale

4 comments:

Unknown said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Dale & Terry
Tom & Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts and note.

I am very sorry to read about your hip troubles. It sounds like you have someone to get you on a path to improvement. Getting a cold is never a pleasant event but having one at Christmas is awful. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Merry Christmas and the best of health in the New Year!

Happy Trails

Dale said...

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I am feeling better today. I tried to spend some time outside yesterday and will again today. It will be warm and I think that is better than the confining space of the motorhome. We are running fans to try and recirculate the air.

Merry Christmas to all!

Dale

Unknown said...

Dale,

Sure hope that you get some help with the hip problem. Sounds like the physical therapist will do her best for you. I feel for you and Terry with the colds! I came down with one the first week we were here in Montgomery and finally gave up and went to the doc - got drugs - yea!!! Better now :-)

Merry Christmas!