Sunday, April 02, 2006

My dog, Neal, part 2

Well, Neal had another and his last seizure (for now) at 7 a.m. Fell right into his food dish. When he was able to eat, it took forever. He wanted his food right then, and since his meds are in the food, I wanted him to eat it. He couldn't stand up, he dumped his water bowl and scattered food all over. I ended up picking most of it up and hand feeding him today. We've seen enough of them to note a pattern and that's why I say he is done for now. They are really nasty, but he seems to recover quicker. He is considerably weaker afterwards however. I had been giving him ice cream afterwards, but it's hard to keep it in our freezer. The ice cream helps to boost the blood sugar. The seizures are the equivalent energy-wise of running a marathon. A neighbor suggested honey since it is natural and said that is what her daughter gives her dog. So I tried that. Course Neal loved it and I had to clean his face, my hands, etc., when he was done. And that was just a teaspoon!

We are in for the night, stopping just south of Birmingham. Had wanted to get further, but decided to get some much needed rest and start out fresh tomorrow.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone, but I'm nobody special. I just love my dogs, same as you. :-)

Till next time. . .

Dale

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neal is not just a dog, he's family, we've met him.

Anonymous said...

How about peanut butter? It has protein to help keep the blood sugar levels stable once the sugars have brought it up.

Hoping my little 4-legged cousin Neal is feeling better soon.

Dale said...

Hey, Carie,

It has to be natural with no preservatives, because chemicals are supposed to trigger more seizures. But I hadn't thought of natural peanut butter. I have been using honey, which I had, but if you know Neal, you know I had to mop the kitchen floor afterwards. Hah. Peanut butter would be a whole lot easier. . . and he loves peanut butter.

Thanks, Sweetie.

Aunt Dale