Sunday, April 02, 2006

My dog, Neal


Those of you who follow my blog know I travel with two Scottish Terriers. Bailey is black and Neal is my wheaten Scottie. Neal is handicapped with a condition known as cerebellar abiotrophy which presents itself a lot like Parkinson's. There is no pain associated with it, just gradual loss of voluntary muscle movement.

Neal also has the misfortune of being an epi-dog, one with seizures. It is 4 a.m. and I have been up since 1:45. He is clustering, having the first one at 5:00 p.m. as we were getting ready to go to the potluck. Then another at 10 p.m. and then this one at 2 a.m. This time, he manifested the post-ictal phases very prominently. . . lots of pacing, needing to go out, thirsty, etc. He has added a new one, and that is barking. Not exactly what I want to hear at 3 a.m. I have taken him out twice. He also seems to have the munchies and I think that is why he is barking. He wants fed. But that is not going to happen. I gave him a treat, and now. . . some 2 hours after it all started. . . he has finally laid down his weary head. . . and I for some reason seem wide awake.

With tomorrow a travel day, I know I will be wiped out. I made Terry stay in bed and told him he would be driving tomorrow. . . er. . . today. Oh yes, and on top of this, we had to turn our clocks up one hour, which actually gives me one less hour of sleep. But our travel days are no more than 200 miles and that is all that is planned for tomorrow, so I can make it through that.

Here's hoping Neal is done with the seizures for now. It's been over a month since his last and we had boosted his meds. Just no accounting for these blasted seizures, though.

Till next time. . .

Dale

3 comments:

Janice and Dean said...

Dale,

Sorry about Neal's problem manifesting itself again. Hopefully he will not have any more seizures - ever!

How was the rally? Hope the weather was good. It's really windy here in Port Isabel, TX.

Richard Pillers n Shirley Talley said...

we go along with you being the "dog angel". hang in there.
R

Dale said...

Thanks everybody. I got to sleep for another 1 1/2 hours, then Bailey wanted out. I got their food ready and as Neal leaned down to eat, he fell into his bowl and lapsed into yet another gran mal seizure. That was about 7. It is 3:30 now and he has been clear since then. Riding in the motorhome seemed soothing to him and he did well with the ride. We were both tired and stopped early, south of Birmingham. Had wanted to get through, but better do it tomorrow when we are both rested.