Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Manatees!!

Monday was our last day in the Melbourne area, so we went down to Vero Beach to the outlet stores. I did a little baby shopping for our new soon-to-be grandbaby Lynch! After that, we took a drive up A1A and when we got up to Sebastian Inlet, we went out through one of the beach accesses and walked out to the water. The water was beautiful, almost an emerald green color. Nice, big waves and lots of people were out enjoying the water.

We drove on to the Jetty Pier at the Inlet and walked out to the end.
It was really pretty windy there, as usual, but the waves were really churning on the south side of the jetty.

There were a lot of surfers on the north side, where it was much calmer.

We were out on the end and I saw what I thought were some really big rocks in the water. Turns out they were manatees and there were about four of them.


We watched them for quite awhile. I also saw a ray jump out of the water. It turned so its flat body was facing the pier and I had such a great look at him. Problem was I didn't have my camera ready and didn't get a shot off. There was also a baby sea turtle, but he only surfaced a couple quick times and I didn't get that either. But it was great just to see the marine life.

We had our last meal with Brandon at Longdoggers, which had really great wings. We hated to say goodbye to Brandon, but we will see him again. And we have decided to spend next winter in Florida, so we will see more of him then.

We came on down to Avon Park and camped. Then we drove on down to Sebring and visited the couple who rented our condo. We sold the condo to their nephew who bought it for his retirement a few years from now. Until then, Barb and Ron will continue to live in it in the winter and do some upgrades. They have done some redecorating and it really changes the looks of the place. They cut down the big tree in the front yard which is an improvement as it was a pine tree and very dirty. We have done some looking around here for a place to stay next winter, but I have pretty much decided I would rather be on the coast. The inland weather is just not as good.

Till next time. . .

Dale

2 comments:

Silverback said...

Ok now you're really in my part of the world.......as you know, my US house is in Sebring.

Maybe we'll meet up next winter after all.

Dale said...

Yes, I do know that, and we made a run through Buttonwood Bay to see what it was like. It's been years since we have been there. Keep us posted with your schedule next winter.

Dale