Saturday, October 01, 2011

Back from Houston!

Monday morning we woke early and went to the Proton Center of MD Anderson for Terry's bloodwork. It was coupled with about 15 sheets of questionnaires asking him all kinds of questions about life after proton therapy. Although the therapy is not really new, it is becoming one of the most popular treatments for prostate cancer because of the relatively low incidence of side effects. So they gather data which helps them in treating new patients in the future.

We then went to breakfast and returned back to the house to crash before his 1 p.m. appointment with the doctor. Even though our quarters at Jim and Lillian's was very nice and comfortable, we have trouble sleeping in anything other than our own bed in the motorhome and we had not slept well the night before.

We left early to go to the doctor and when we got there, we were ushered in immediately! The nurses came in and asked a few questions and relayed the news of his latest PSA which was .8! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!! Down from 1.2 in June. It continues the downhill slide and will bottom out at some point. Then they start measuring any increases/decreases from that point in order to determine what is happening. But that news was as good as we had hoped for and the nurses were excited. Then the doctor came in. Dr. Pugh is 6'10" and claims he came to MD Anderson because they have 8' doors everywhere. Hah. He is a very nice man and we are glad we have him for a doctor. He was extremely excited about Terry's progress and said "You look great! You look like a million dollars!" He continued to compliment Terry on his weight loss and his physical appearance. He was very pleased. All is good with the cancer treatment and he believes that nothing more needs to be done. Terry will send in blood work at 9 months and then we have a follow-up appointment in March with the doctor.

We left there and went out to Lakeview RV Resort where we lived for 3 months last winter. We saw the managers, Chris and Jim, and touched base with them about returning the last of March for a followup. That may be a problem because the Houston Rodeo has changed its dates, but we should be able to find some place to stay then.

We went out to eat later and then crashed back at the house. We went to bed early again and once again did not sleep well, but not much would be required of us on Tuesday. We got up early again and went out for some breakfast. Then we headed back to the airport. Our flight was to leave at 12:18, but we got an earlier flight at 10:36. That meant we had more time to kill in Atlanta, but that was okay. Our flight into Dayton was on time and we got back to the motorhome at 8:30 p.m. We got unpacked, took showers, and finally got to sleep in our own bed!

Till next time. . .


No comments: