Thursday, October 13, 2011

Moving right along. . .

We left the Neuse River Nature Center in Kinston, North Carolina, early yesterday morning. We had gotten a good night's sleep, but woke early. Terry had been watching the weather and we knew rain was coming in early in the morning and since we got up early we decided to get ready to move and try to beat the rain. Mission accomplished and we were on our way by 7:30 a.m. which is very early for us.

We had decided that instead of sightseeing our way through Georgia, we would just head to Florida and do our sightseeing there. We planned to spend some time in St. Augustine. While we have been there before, it is a neat and historic town, so we knew we would have plenty to occupy our time. We have an appointment next week with DataStorm of Florida to repair our internet satellite system, so we wanted to be closer to that area.

We stopped around 1:30 in the afternoon at a Comfort Inn which has an RV park out back. We had read the reviews and while there is a train track right behind the campground, it didn't appear to be a problem for the many reviewers. We had a leisurely afternoon and I got a couple loads of laundry done. A couple trains came through, but with the air conditioning fans running, we hardly noticed them and decided they wouldn't pose a problem for us.

I was sound asleep when suddenly at about 2:30 a.m. a train whistle blasted the quiet of the night. It was the loudest train whistle I have ever heard and it was amplified by the fact that it was only about 50 feet from our motorhome. Why in the world would a train engineer sound a whistle at night in that area that didn't require one all day or into the evening? We decided he did it just to blast us out of a peaceful sleep. I was soooooo rattled. I not only could not get back to sleep but the adrenalin rush basically had my eyes wide open for the next couple hours. Finally at 5 a.m. we decided to get out of bed and get ready to roll. So this morning we left at 7 a.m. It was still dark, which is something I can't even remember doing in recent history.

We knew where we planned to stay and we drove into Indian Forest Campground just south of St. Augustine. We were here several years ago when Hurricane Wilma came through. We had to sit here till Brevard County got the all clear and we were able to get into our campground there.

We took a drive out to the beaches and walked out onto the fishing pier. The water really looked inviting. There were a few surfers out. We went into town tonight and picked up some literature so we could plan what we are going to do for the next several days. Hopefully we will be able to start with a good night's sleep tonight!

Till next time. . .


No comments: