Thursday, December 30, 2010

Kemah Boardwalk!

We long ago decided that while being in Houston for medical reasons is not how we would like to spend our time, we intend to make the best of it. Houston is an exciting town with lots of activities, museums, arts, shopping, dining, etc., and we intend to spend time exploring.

Today Terry wanted to go check out the Speedco on the other side of town. His thought was that during some "down" time, we could take the motorhome over there for an oil change. But when we got there, he talked with the fellow in charge and it became apparent they weren't too thrilled about doing a motorhome. When Terry asked about putting something down on the cream colored carpet, the guy didn't understand why they would need to be in the bedroom. Hmmmm. Have you ever changed the oil in a diesel pusher? He said he was not aware of any fuel filter that was accessible from there. Hmmmm. And the lady there confirmed that they didn't have any paper to put on the floor to protect the carpet. Well, thanks but no thanks.

So, that settled, we headed down to Baytown to see what it was like. Didn't find too much there that interested us except for this really neat bridge, but we continued on down through Laporte and ended up at the town of Kemah. There is a boardwalk there which is quite nice. It runs along the channel and the waterfront with shops and restaurants and carnival rides for the kids. There weren't many people there today and very few kids, so we were able to stroll at our leisure and it was quite pleasant. The weather was warm, not hot, and windy because of the waterfront. Very nice for walking outside without even a jacket.

Before we headed back to the campground, we stopped to eat at T-Bone Tom's. It was featured on the TV show "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." It was an interesting place. The service wasn't so good, but the food was hot and delicious. The portions were way too big for us, so we brought home about half the food and will get several meals off of it. Terry ordered the seafood stuffed jalepenos. We were expecting a small appetizer as they usually are and instead they brought out four on a plate. They were the size of baseballs. We cut one in half and ate that and brought the other three home. No way could we eat more than that! It was an interesting place and the food all looked good. But a lot of it was fried and I cannot eat too much of that as it will make me sick.

On the way home, we took the road that went past the Johnson Space Center. That will be one of our trips while we are here in Houston. I think that would be very interesting.

When we got back, we had a double treat in store for us. Macy, the golden retriever, was out with her master. We had met them when we were here earlier in December. She remembered us. Terry told her owner we would dog-sit if he needed someone in a pinch. While we were outside talking, the parrots made a rather noisy entrance to our lane. They are beautiful and I know their distinctive tweet now. It's much like a parakeet only louder and huskier, but much different than the "noise" the grackels make.

The rains have moved out for the weekend and it is 76* outside with a breeze. It is overcast with the sun occasionally peaking through. Just perfect.

Till next time. . .


No comments: