Saturday, August 10, 2024

Heathrow. . . AGAIN. . . And Almost Home

 August 10, 2024


Well, yesterday we made it back to Heathrow Airport to a different terminal as we were flying this time on Virgin Atlantic. I was hoping that would be good news, as British Airways continued to cancel flights to the U.S. One gentleman we talked to said they were flying on a BA flight to the U.S., two hours out and were turned around and sent back to Heathrow. That would have been worse. 


We got to the airport by 11:30, but could not check in to our flight till 12:30. So we found some seats and waited till it was time to check in. That done, we walked/rode the train/etc., to the area where Virgin flies from and sat down in a restaurant and ordered some lunch. It was very good and it was nice to relax a bit. But I was still nervous, knowing what all we had to do to actually get home. After our lunch we again found some seats and people watched until we finally got a gate number and walked there. We were in the right vicinity, so we didn’t have to walk far. Sharon and I were in “Premium” seating and we were the second group to board. We boarded a shuttle bus which took us out to the plane and then we had to walk up the steps with our carry-on, but we did and we got seated. Our seats were in the front of the section and were actually recliners with TV screens with many choices of things to watch.. . . Games, music, movies, TV, etc. And we got a drink service before we actually took off. 


Suffice to say, we were well cared for on this flight by the crew and it was a very smooth and enjoyable flight. I had managed also to change my flight from Friday to Sunday from Norfolk to Orlando and then today I got my rental car lined up. So that is the last leg of my trip and I’m hoping/praying all will go as planned.


Two of our fellow travelers got sick during our time abroad and they appear to have given it to me. It’s not covid, but I seem to have a sinus infection. I wish I had thrown in a Zpak, but I didn’t; so I will start that tomorrow night when I get home. I can’t wait to see Brendon. I hope he understands I didn’t abandon him. But I know he is well cared for by Monica.


The plan for tomorrow is early Mass, then breakfast out, then back to Sharon’s to repack and head out to the airport. 


Till next time. . .


Dale

No comments: