Thursday, May 11, 2006

Root canal is done!

Well, as of 7:30 am, I am the proud and somewhat poorer owner of a root canal. Never had one before, didn't want this one. But alas, the fates were against me. My appointment was at 7. I was early, as usual for me, and I was in the chair a bit before 7. After all the preliminaries and a promise from the good doctor that he would not hurt me, he started about 7:10. Was done at 7:30. The guy is good, what can I say. When he started he said, "Now you should not feel any pain whatsoever. . . if you feel anything, raise your hand." Three times I twinged and he added more anesthetic, but I have to say. . . it was much less an ordeal than I had imagined. He said the tissues were quite inflamed, adding to my discomfort. We knew there was infection and I am now on antibiotics for that. The biggest surprise was that it was not the tooth 3 dentists told me it was. The infection was between two teeth and I could only guess which was hurting. The other guys concurred, but this fellow said. . . "I don't think that's the one with the problem." But promised to find out. Tapping on them didn't disclose the problem tooth, but then he said, "I'm going to apply ice to each tooth and you tell me which hurts worse." The one we all thought was bad didn't react, but when he touch the other. . . well let's just said my actions spoke louder than words.

I now must have a crown placed on that tooth. I cannot believe what this all costs, but I am certainly glad I found this guy for the root canal. He is definitely an expert. I am now anxious for the discomfort (no real pain) to go away so I can chew. Since it is opposite where I had the extraction Tuesday, I am quite handicapped as to chewing and eating. So I am having soup and instant breakfast, etc. I am just so glad that after almost 7 months of pain from these problems that occurred after we started fulltiming that I am finally to the point where I should not have any more pain. The good doctor did tell me that when I have another similar problem anywhere in the country, he expects he will be seeing me to get it fixed. I gave him a thumbs up on that one.

In other news, son Brandon has arrived at Indianapolis airport, getting his rental care and staying with his best friend from high school tonight. We will see him Saturday. We are leaving tomorrow morning to go to Summit Lake State Park for 3 days to be close to him. Since I have a week before I have to have the crown prep done, we are going to slum around and not head back up here immediately.

Till next time. . .

Dale

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You definitely made the right decision in waiting 'til you were back in familiar territory before having your dental work. So glad it all worked out so well!

Sounds like you need some ice cream now!