Friday, May 05, 2006

Shipshewana. . . King of Fleamarkets

What can I say? If you like flea markets, you must put Shipshewana, Indiana, on your list of must-see places. Plan an entire day because the flea market is so large, once you are done, you will have to do some serious R&R. We went Wednesday. Took our daughter. It was the first week of the season and probably only half the vendors were set up. Even at that, it was a lot of ground to cover and plenty of vendors. We managed to spend a few $$ there.

We actually didn't cover the entire thing, because we also wanted to go to Yoder's meat market and then there was the general store. We also stopped at E & S which is an Amish grocery store. Jocelyn likes it because she can buy a lot of organic foods and bulk foods. Spices are extremely cheap there as well and in large containers. Then it was out to Yoder's popcorn farm where she purchased her month's allotment.

An enjoyable day in Amish country. Came by the draft horse farm on the way there and back and got to see the new colts. They are so cute. A lot of new horses in the country every year, but this particular farm raises only draft horses. As they get older, they separate them into pastures according to age, so you can see several sizes, ages of horses. A special treat.

Yesterday I finally got into see a dentist who seems intent on helping me with my tooth problems. I have always seen a dentist regularly, but when we left for full-timing last fall, my teeth seemed to start falling apart. I will have one extracted on Tuesday next week and another will get a root canal on Thursday. Once that tooth is finished, I will be good to go for awhile, I think. I have been give the choice of an implant or a bridge on the one being extracted. I don't want either one. Prices are so high for either one. I could buy a car for what they want to do either. Anyone reading this have any experience with a partial? The dentist says I will hate it and won't wear it, but he will make it if I want it. I would like input from readers who have had them. They are much cheaper.

Till next time. . .

Dale

2 comments:

Janice and Dean said...

Dale,

We visited Shipshewana when we picked up our MS, but it was to early for the flea market. Would like to go back - maybe on our way to the Fall Escapade. Love that Amish food!

Janice

Richard Pillers n Shirley Talley said...

we need a picture to look at.