Saturday, June 29, 2013

Homer to Seward. . .

After getting in off the ferry from Seldovia last evening, we went to the Mariner City Park on the Homer Spit. That is where Tab and Deanna went once they checked out yesterday morning. We were right on the "beach," although it is mostly rocky. There was a kite surfer that we watched for quite some time. Deanna said he had been going for at least an hour and he went almost another two hours. Wow. The winds were strong and it was very foggy, but it was pretty cool to watch him go up in the air and then down again into the water.

We settled in for the night. We ran our generator a little bit when our neighbors were gone. We didn't want to disturb them. But I would like to have strangled one this morning. Quiet hours were 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., but she started her generator at 5 a.m. and ran it for about 45 minutes. Grrrr.

The highlight of the morning was seeing eagles again. I ran out to tell Terry to get a picture of the one flying overhead and he was photographing the one sitting on the beach. Hah

We started the drive back up through Soldotna about 9 a.m. We stopped there and topped off some supplies at the Fred Meyer store. Terry and I left then while Tab and Deanna fueled. We wanted to stop off at the Russian River to see if we could see any bears fishing in the river. We went to the campground and walked down the trail to the river. There were some fishermen there and one woman who was watching her husband fish said a grizzly had just been down earlier, but walked on.  I didn't really want to see one face to face, but I did have my bear spray with me. We took a couple pictures and talked a bit then headed back out. The mosquitos were soooooo bad right there, so we didn't hang around. There were not nearly as many people there today as we saw earlier this week, so I'm guessing this particular run of salmon is about over. There are several different kinds of salmon and they all have their own times to run the river. Amazing how that works.

Along the way, we saw some moose. . . one grazing by the side of the road. We saw him a little late and he got spooked. Terry moved over into the other lane a bit because the moose started for the road. It would be a terrible thing to hit one of those animals. Luckily he veered off and turned toward the ditch. We also saw a cow and twin babies. So cute. We did see some snow up in the mountains on the way down here. . . kind of mini-glaciers.

We got to Seward behind Tab and Deanna and decided to go down into the town and see where our tour leaves from tomorrow. We are taking a 7.5 hours Kenai Fjords Wildlife and Glacier cruise. Pretty exciting. We leave at 10 a.m. and return around 5:30 p.m. They are serving a prime rib/salmon buffet, so we are pretty pumped for that! Whoo hoo! Hopefully we will see lots of great wildlife. There happened to be a cruise ship in the harbor. Pretty cool!

We are camped at the Stoney Creek RV Campground. It is pretty nice. . . one of the nicer parks we've been in here in Alaska. We will be here for three nights.

Till next time. . .


1 comment:

Colleen Phipps said...

Sounds like a great trip so far.